Friday, 26 April 2013


My last blog about holidays camping in France reminded me about the time we went on a big posh holiday to Disneyland in Florida.

As you might imagine this was a very big deal, Mum and Dad had been saving up for quite a long time so we could do this holiday. To be honest, it wasn’t really the OSOs favourite kind of holiday because, for all that she was always up for doing something fast, daring and active, she hated things that went up and down or round and round, so really Disneyland and it’s rides didn’t hold much appeal for her.

One of the first things to sort out was our accommodation which wasn’t straight forward as it had to be on the level with wide doors so I could get around in my wheelchair. We also had to look into getting a vehicle that would take my chair. I liked to keep people on the ball sorting things out for me! Obviously as well, it had to be great for my ugly bothers, though to be honest, I couldn’t see why we were bothering too much about them!

Anyhow, eventually it was all sorted out and off we went to Gatwick, we were flying very early in the morning so we decided to stay at the airport the night before. That was great fun cause the hotel had room on a sort of big balcony system looking into the hotel lobby which was right next door to the actual airport (sorry, not very well explained, but hopefully you get the picture) anyway we all got settled in for the night and we boys were in our pj’s when the OSO decided that we needed some milk for our bed time drinks , what she really wanted was milk to go in her tea as she couldn’t stand those silly little cartons, but we didn’t mind cause Dad said we could go out into the airport with him to fetch the milk. We were all dressed for bed, but no matter, off we went and me, ,of course, in my wheelchair. It was good fun, I think most people thought we were mad, but we were used to it!


Next morning we got on the plane, my wheelchair had to go in the hold (I hoped they would take good care of it as it was pretty important to me). We all sat near to each other though Mum had to carry me on and put me in my seat. Going to the loo would be impossible as in the toilets there was nowhere for me to lie whilst Mum took my pants down etc. ( sorry, FAR too much detail) but again, I was very used to things happening like that). So much for facilities for the disabled.

The flight was great fun and when we landed we got our hire van which could take us and my wheelchair to the bungalow we had booked. That too was brilliant, lots of space and lovely wide doors and corridors which I could easily get round, there was an outdoor pool as well, though that did prove very difficult for me to get into but hey ho you can’t have everything.

Mum and Dad then tried to put my wheelchair on to charge up the batteries, they had brought the relevant plug adaptors, but it just wouldn’t charge no matter what they did. BIG problem.

To cut a very long story short they eventually found (after nearly a whole day of searching) a wheelchair centre where we went and they sorted out the problem for us. It was all to do with America’s different voltage for wheelchairs. Anyway the staff there were fantastic and we were soon on the go again and we didn’t really have any more problems all holiday unless you count the time I felt out of the van head first, literally onto my head (well it wasn’t my fault I couldn’t put my arms out to save myself, one of the drawbacks of having DMD)

We had an awesome time, we went to all the centres and the great thing about being in a wheelchair is that you always get to the front of the queues!

We kept going round and meeting up with another family who had someone in a wheelchair, except that it was never the same person, they just kept swapping and taking it in turns pretending they needed a wheelchair so they too could dodge the queues, ha ha!

Eat, could they eat? We had never seen people eat so much, it was amazing. I felt that soon all Americans would be so fat they would need a wheelchair ‘cause they would be too fat too walk!

The OSO kept her marathon training up whilst she was there though she found running in the hot humid Florida climate very hard work (she never was built for speed bless her)

Sadly, eventually it was time for us to come home, the main problem on the return flight was that when we came to collect my wheelchair from the plane’s hold was that it was pretty bashed about and damaged, it hadn’t been carefully handled.

So we had a brilliant time, it really was the holiday of a lifetime, we all loved it and came home with loads of photos and happy memories aaah!

No comments:

Post a Comment